Tuesday 27 March 2012

Review: Days Like This by Alison Stewart

I was extremely excited about this book since A. It's set in Australia, B. It is similar to John Marsden's Tomorrow series [which I love] and C. It was a fantastic YA read, that needs more publicity! The genre of dystopian is rapidly growing, [these have to be some of my favourites] such as The Hunger Games, these books mainly take place in America in the future, which does not seem as real to me but since this book is based in Australia it had a great connection to me and made it seem real.


Days Like This follows Lily, who has not stepped outside of her house since the Wall was built, in Sydney. "The Warming" has stripped the land bare; anyone living outside the priviledged area around Sydney is left in the barren wasteland to perish and is shown no mercy. Life at home has been dreadful for Lily and her twin brother Daniel, only her little sister is shown love from their parents, when Daniel disappears, Lily knows she is also in danger and must escape.

I found Lily very likeable, she loves her family and willingly risks her life to save them.  Lily is strong, stubborn and clumsy, she seems so real and full of courage she was able to make me admire her. 



I love how Alison Stewart has used a mixture of characters, made some loveable, others dangerous and many heroic, making the plot thicker with mystery and suspense. The plot was amazing, the mysterious that surrounded this future world made me turn the pages fast with eagerness! Unfortunately the ending was a huge disappointment, it was rushed and ruined the book, I think it could of been made into two books and built on, more of the mysteries solved but overall I thought it was a fantastic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment